Insurance Services of Washington Blog
Shelter is a basic need for every man woman and child. That is so many of us have a dream home that we’ve invested our life savings into and happily dwell in. When something is so important, you want to make sure that it is taken care of and well protected. Therefore it can’t be denied that it is also of utmost importance to find the right insurance for your home. While insurance is there to help you in case the unfortunate should happen, it’s always helpful to avoid a claim rather than making one. Here are the most common reasons for claims.
1. Hail – This can cause big damage even if in small pieces especially if it hits your roof at a great speed. With its typical size of a pea (about 1/4 inch in diameter), it can do major damage. Hail damage oftentimes cannot be seen by many of the homeowners. This is why it is the least expected insurance claim as it depends on the damage on the roof, gutters and sidings.
2. Wind – Though you may not see it coming, the damages after a windstorm may be the most horrifying event in your life. Modern roof shingles are better designed these days for its wind resistance, but oftentimes, more damaging than the wind itself are the flying debris that comes with it.
3. Water – Water always finds its ways to get into your house whether its weather related or not. Water in the kitchen or the bedroom has been concluded as the sneakiest of all damages. To prevent this, check water pipes even if it’s not rainy outside. Remember, water damage and flooding are different things.
Investigate your own house’s pipe flow and check for overflowing pipes if there are any. Make some ways to protect your home from unexpected leaky roof. Inspect your roof for signs of damage and sagging. Always clean your gutters on downspouts.
4. Fire – This is the leading cause of accidental and non-weather related death around the world. Its fast, It’s hot and it’s deadly! The number one cause is electricity. What you can do is to learn how to fireproof your house by starting in the kitchen to the bedroom and to the other rooms in the house. You should also be careful with overheating devices including the batteries of your gadgets like cellphones, laptops etc.
5. Weight of Ice and Snow on Roofs – Other than hail, the most common cause of roof destruction is the weight of ice and snow. Because of this, inspect your roof after every winter. Remember to hire a trusted contractor to clear your roof gutters and downspouts of snow and debris. It is a dangerous job so make sure to hire a professional. Safety comes first after all.
Protecting your investment is just as important as protecting yourself and your family. Look for a trusted insurance partner that will be there for you when push comes to shove. At Insurance Services of Washington, we aim to provide comprehensive insurance policies that make your life easier. You can get more information about our products and services by calling our agency at (425) 868-1123. Get your free quote today.