Insurance Services of Washington Blog
There are plenty of things to consider when we try to make our homes safe for our families to live in. We want our houses to be clean, pest free, well-ventilated, or well-protected against fires and earthquakes. However, it’s uncommon for us to think about the dangers of having our families exposed to carbon monoxide that contaminates the air in our houses but it needs to be taken into consideration to be responsible homeowners.
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless and colorless gas that can be dangerous to our health. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion process. Usually a combustion would produce carbon dioxide (CO2), the same gas that we exhale. However, when there isn’t enough oxygen in the air, the combustion can produce carbon monoxide.
What dangers does carbon monoxide post to our health?
Carbon monoxide forms a strong bond with haemoglobin, a substance in the human blood that carries oxygen throughout the body. Having carbon monoxide in your blood means you won’t be able to take as much oxygen into your body. When the body isn’t supplied by enough oxygen, you may face symptoms such as headache, nausea, chest pain, and fatigue. Too much exposure to this substance can even cause the heart and brain to fail, causing permanent damage or even death.
Where does carbon monoxide in our houses come from?
Carbon monoxide can be produced by combustion processes done by normal household items. Appliances that uses fuel such as water heater, room heater, furnace, ranges, stoves can easily produce carbon monoxide when they are faulty. Some other things that can produce carbon monoxide are cigarettes and vehicles around the house.
How do we prevent carbon monoxide contamination in the air?
To avoid health effects, it’s advisable for us to make sure the concentration of carbon monoxide in our houses is under 9 ppm. To ensure that the amount stays under that level, you have to install carbon monoxide detectors in every floor of your house. Make sure to properly place the detectors so it won’t get a false reading. To further keep the carbon monoxide levels low, here are some things you can do:
Following these tips will ensure that the level of carbon monoxide in our houses will stay low. However, we can be exposed to carbon monoxide not only in our houses, but also in the streets, in our workplace, and in public places. Health insurance will help protect you against the risk of getting exposed to this poisonous gas.
At Insurance Services of Washington, our mission is to ensure that we protect are clients and offer them policies that they can afford. Learn more about our products and services by calling our agency at (425) 868-1123. You can also request for a free quote by clicking here.